Monday, November 10, 2008

Thank A Vet

So, here I go, off on another tangent. Tomorrow is Veteran's Day. Probably not that many people think about it. Honestly, if I didn't have a kid in school, I probably wouldn't either.
Last night, Saving Private Ryan was on TV. That is one of "those movies" that never gets old for me. Every time it's on, I always watch it, and not just because I have a thing for Matt Damon. I am always amazed by what so many men (and women) sacrificed for our country. I'm sure it doesn't even come close to what actual war is like. I'm sure it is much worse. I can't imagine being brave enough to put my life on the line like that. Furthermore, as a mother, I can't fathom letting either of my boys go off into harm's way. I think about my grandpa who served on an aircraft carrier. He kept a diary while on board. That was a HUGE no no. They weren't allowed to keep journals for fear they might fall into enemy hands. It really is amazing to read. If I recall, I think they were bombed . . .it's been quite a few years since I've read it.
Tomorrow there is a Veteran's Day program at Evan's school. Every year that I go, I always get choked up. Sometimes I'm just overly emotional. What can I say. On the way out, after the program is over, all the vets line up by the doors and the kids and everyone else shakes their hands and thanks them for their service to our country.
So my thought for the evening is that everyone should thank a vet tomorrow. I think it's easy to become numb to all that we hear on TV about the war in Iraq. I just think it's super important to honor all those who have served our country and risk their lives for our freedom.
That's all.

Tangent over.

Seacrest out.

No comments: